It’s no secret that hotels rely heavily on art to create a certain ambiance of the property. But did you know that the type of art in a hotel can actually affect a hotel’s star and diamond ratings? Private agencies that rate hotels use a variety of factors in their evaluation process, and art is definitely one of those factors.
So, what kind of art is most likely to boost a hotel’s ratings? A study conducted by Cornell University found that abstract, modern art was most effective in boosting ratings. This could be because abstract art is more likely to provoke an emotional reaction from viewers, which can lead to a more positive overall experience.
Interestingly, the study also found that hotels with no art were rated lower than those with art, regardless of the type of art. This suggests that even if you’re not sure what kind of art to choose, it’s still worth adding some to your hotel!
AAA Diamond Ratings and Art
While private agencies use their own rating system, the AAA Diamond rating system is perhaps the most well-known. And similar to other rating agencies, AAA considers art when awarding diamond ratings. In fact, the organization even has a specific Art Advisory Panel that advises hotels on how to use art to improve their chances of receiving a higher diamond rating.
The AAA evaluates hotels on a scale of 1 to 5 diamonds, with 5 being the highest rating. The following are the rating levels as defined by AAA:
- Approved: 1-diamond and 2-diamond were merged and are now both considered approved hotels. These hotels meet the minimum requirements for cleanliness, comfort, and facilities.
- 3 Diamond: A 3 diamond hotel meets AAA’s quality, comfort, and hospitality requirements. It also offers more amenities and services than an approved hotel.
- 4 Diamond: Hotels at this level offer an exceptional level of quality and service. They often have multiple restaurants, bars, lounges, and other luxury amenities such as a spa.
- 5 Diamond: A 5 diamond hotel meets the highest standards set by AAA. These hotels offer world-class service, luxury amenities, and top-notch facilities.
While a higher diamond rating is always better, it’s important to remember that the standards for each rating level can vary from region to region. So while a 3 diamond hotel in one area might be very different from a 3 diamond hotel in another area, they would both still be considered 3 diamond hotels.
Art Requirements for AAA Diamond Ratings
- Approved: Artwork with simple frames or other little features. Some examples are live plants, floral arrangements, canvas prints, various pieces, sculptures, accent walls, water features, and fireplaces.
- 3 Diamond: More complex and interesting artwork, often in large or grandiose frames. Paintings, tapestries, wall murals, mosaics, sculptures, and other similar pieces are often seen in 3 diamond hotels.
- 4 Diamond: Original artwork is often seen at this level, as well as high-quality reproductions. Artwork should be professionally installed and lit, and there should be a good mixture of different types of art.
- 5 Diamond: The highest level of artwork, often with famous or well-known pieces. There is usually a themed approach to the art, and it is often museum quality. The artwork is world-class and creates a one-of-a-kind experience for guests. All areas of the hotel should be dripping with luxury, from the lobby to the guest rooms.
Picking Hotel Art for Higher Ratings
While you might not be able to achieve a 5-diamond rating overnight, there are some things you can do to improve your chances of boosting your hotel’s ratings with art. Here are a few ideas:
- Use multiple mediums in each room: A good mix of paintings, photographs, sculptures, and other pieces will create a more well-rounded and interesting space.
- Get locally sourced artwork: Sourcing artwork from local artists is a great way to support the community and add some unique pieces to your hotel.
- Consider using art with various finishing styles: A few different finishing styles can also add some visual interest to a space. Consider a mix of frame finishes to add interest and depth to your collection. Black, white, and wood frames are all popular choices.
4.Source for unique art pieces: Find unique and interesting pieces, such as limited edition prints or one-of-a-kind sculptures. These pieces will add character to your hotel and make it more memorable for guests.
There is no one right way to do it when it comes to hotel art. The most important thing is to find pieces that you love and that will reflect the style and personality of your hotel. With a little bit of effort, you can create a beautiful and welcoming space.
By following the tips above, you can choose artwork that will help your hotel achieve a higher rating and stand out from the competition. These tips apply to hotels of all levels, so whether you’re just starting out or you’re already a 5-diamond property, there’s always room for improvement!